Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Maze Runner, by James Dashner

The Maze Runner is another book I picked up from Target just because I thought the cover looked cool. I finished it the next day, and my husband finished in one night. The general premise is very similar to The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. It is quite rough (violent), but not as "in your face" about it as the Collins series.

Thomas wakes up in a metal elevator with no memory of who he is or where he's from. Basically, the only thing he can remember is his name. The elevator eventally takes him to a huge outdoor courtyard enclosed by massive stone walls. Outside the walls lies a gigantic maze. There are other boys here, none of whom remember who they are.

The boys have set up a society, of sorts. They are provided with some supplies, grow their own food, raise animals, etc. But there is just one thing they all want more than anything...to get out. Eight of them are assigned to be Runners, studying the Maze every day. The only problem? The walls move, and you do NOT want to be caught out in the Maze after dark.

Mystery abounds as you wonder why they were brought here. Are they criminals? Is there a way out at all? And why does Thomas have the oddest feeling that he's been here before?

This book has a great ending, making me sorry the next installment doesn't come out until October 2010!

2 comments:

  1. Looks interesting... I think I'd like this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked it very much- it's a great survival story. It reminds me of Jurassic Park (the Grievers) and the Ender series.

    ReplyDelete